Re: A NEWBIE inquiry......

On 07/26/01 22:40:52 -0500, d wrote:

> I am running Windows SE 98+! V4.10.2222a on a PCChips PC100 MBD/w AMD K6 II
> 3D 400meg, 163.48meg RAM, USR 56k INT MDM plus a PCTEL WinModem (that is
> NOT being used at this time), two 8.4 gig IDE H/D's.  One is setup to run
> WinBlows 98 the other I have set to 7 partitions, three for Debian v2.1 and
> three for Mandrake v7.0, there are 6 of them the other is just FREE
> SPACE.  Hope to be able to access that from which ever one needs added space.
>
> Now my question is what would I have to do to set these up so I can access
> one from the other?  I can now access the WinBlows from Mandrake, have NOT
> set things so I can do that from Deb just yet.  The other is how can I get
> both of them to acknowledge my USR MDM, neither one will recognize it and
> MD never has even from my first install?  I know there are HOWTO's and many
> other MAN pages and various other thingys, I spend most of a day just
> attempting to keep up with these messages.  THE END.  This has gone on far
> enough, I am going to give you the chance to do what most people DREAM of
> being able to do, TELL ME WHERE TO GO to reach my END.

I can't help with your modem, but for accessing your other partitions
I think what you might want to look at is the mount command and also
the /etc/fstab file. The mount command is use for er, mounting
partitions. The /etc/fstab file makes mounting filesystems much
easier.

check out the man page for mount.

You might want to post some more info about how you have your Linux
installations set up. One way to do this is to run the df command
whick will give you output like this:

mwagnon @ mordor:~/files/latex $ df
/dev/hda1               198313     27166    160893  14% /
/dev/hda5              1007960     53996    902760   6% /var
/dev/hda6               495876       919    469356   0% /tmp
/dev/hda8             27201348    961324  24858260   4% /usr
/dev/hda3              5039592    370716   4412872   8% /usr/local
/dev/hda4              4911728    249828   4412396   5% /home

Try not to laugh too much at my partition scheme, I was just messing
around and not too sure how to allocate all the space on this monster
sized drive 8^)

> ONE more for the ROAD, please.....where is a GOOD place for a NEWBIE that
> is NOT a programmer nor very familiar with UNIX or Linux to learn how to
> get started.  I Know READ, READ, READ, etcetera, at 61 I do NOT have that
> much time left to do all of that.

I don't think you're going to be able to get away from reading. I
sounds like you already have an intro book, but Running Linux
published by O'Reilly is a good book for getting a handle on the
basics. You might take a look at local community colleges in your
area. I took a UNIX class that was taught using Red Hat. It was a good
intro to some of the basics and let me see what some of Linux's
capabilities are. You might also look for any Linux User's Groups in
your area. Check out http://noframes.linuxjournal.com:8080/glue/ for
starters.

I just found a LUG in San Antonio. Web site at: http://www.satlug.org/

Good luck, and hey, you've already tapped one of the best sources of
info--this list!
--
Mark Wagnon <mwagnon1@home.com>