Re: How best to install a TrueType font on Debian?

The handling of TT fonts changed with Xfree86 4; to save having to
learn it to ways you might want to upgrade to v4 first.  Or you might
not; there have been various glitches with the upgrade process.

For v3 there is a Debian HowTo True Type (probably in the debian site,
not LDP).  You need to start a separate TT font server and, if you
don't have it, a regular font server.

For v4 the new font server can handle TT, so you don't need a separate
TT font server.  However, you can feed it off the old TT font server.