Re: IDE UDMA/xx Hard drive and Debian

I have a P5A MB with a K6-2/400.  I've had a few problems, but the
hard drive is nothing to worry about.  Since the MB can only do
UDMA/33, that's all you'll get.  AFAIK, the disk and MB hardware work
this out between them.  UDMA is advertised to be backward compatible.

If you're really keen on getting higher througput, you can install a
card that can handle it.  In that case you might want to disable the
drives in the BIOS (I'm not sure how that scenario works).

The two problems I've noticed are:
1) When I enable the L2 cache the machine reboots randomly under M$ W2K,
but is fine on debian.  It's also fine under W2K with the cache off
(but slow).  I figure this is just bad hardware--a disappointment,
since I picked ASUS for high quality.

2) I need to power the system down myself.  This may also be
deteriorating hardware, since this used to work, at least under
Debian.  But it may just be the way I've fiddled with my kernels and
modules.