Re: Netscape/WindowMaker annoyance ("XmDisplay")

on Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 10:47:24AM +0100, Morten Bo Johansen (mojo@image.dk) wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>

> > on Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 02:55:05PM +0100, Morten Bo Johansen (mbj@spamfilter.dk)

> > > The icon is /usr/share/WindowMaker/Icons/Netscape.png, one of
> > > the stock wmaker icons. I have this on my dock.
> >
> > And just what do you think an image file has to do with running an
> > application?
>

> Sorry, the mentioning of the clicking of the icon is surely
> irrelevant - I really just meant to say that netscape won't
> start. Of course the icon *is* associated with the command
> netscape (I have used wmaker for 3 years).

De nada.  I shouldn't get so short either.

> It slipped in I guess because it could be assumed the problem
> lies in an interaction between netscape and wmaker - but hey
> let's forget about the damn icon ;-)
>

> > What happens when you launch Netscape from the command line?
>
> Same thing - but it only happens occasionally and the annoying
> thing is that apparently there is no proces to kill to fix the
> problem. Thought maybe someone had had this experience and
> could shed some light..

Weird.  Dunno.  I'd suggest running something other than Netscape if
it's a high-enough powered box.  Or rightgrading to another version -- I
liked the old 3.x browsers a lot, the earlier 4.x series (4.05?) were
pretty cool as well.  My older PII-180 system doesn't care much for
Mozilla, but runs the older Netscape browsers just fine (well, within
limits of stability).  My PIII/600 laptop tends toward Mozilla.

Otherwise, I'd watch performance and see what/why Netscape's crapping
with WindowMaker.  Though my experience is that Netscape just likes to
crap out no matter what.