Re: Booting from SCSI when there is IDE

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

> More than 3 years ago someone filed a bug report that LILO doesn't support
> booting from SCSI drives when there is an IDE drive in the system.
>
> I am not able to test this as I don't own any SCSI devices, and the person
> who originally reported the bug hasn't responded to the last email about the
> issue.
>
> Does anyone here have SCSI and IDE drives?  If so can you make it boot from
> SCSI?

The standard way to fix this on my box is:
I'm able to make the bios load lilo from scsi via a bios option
"start from scsi disk". If you can't, can you put lilo on ide?
(Just the lilo shouldn't take too much space.)
My problem here, once the bootloader is loaded, the default way is still to
use the ide first.
The solution is to specify which disks is to be recognized as "first" and
"second" etcetera, and this can be done in lilo.conf.
For example,
        disk=/dev/sda
          bios=0x80
        disk=/dev/sdb
          bios=0x81
in lilo.conf specifies /dev/sda to be recognized as first disk,
/dev/sdb as second disk etcetera. See man lilo.conf.

Hope this helps.

Harald