Re: isdn question

"Peter O. Fedichev" <Peter.Fedichev@uibk.ac.at> writes:

> Hello
>
> for some time we have to use ISDN connection as a permanent Internet
> connection for our server with a fixed IP address. Is there a simple way to
> configure ISDN so that it authomatically goes back online if the connection
> failed?
>

> thanks in avance for a help
>
> PF

A combination of pppconfig and diald works fine for me.
Set up ppp properly with pppconfig and see to that this setup works with "pon" and "poff" (as root).
Then install diald.
Personally I don't like the "slip" setup too much so I configure my kernel
with tap enabled. (That is "Network device support"->"Ethertap network tap (OBSOLETE)" in my 2.4.2 kernel.)

A warning though, I'm running Woody and I don't know how it works on Potato.

Harald

PS:
Anyone knows how to run the "Universal TUN/TAP device driver support"
in the 2.4 kernel? Not that I have tried, though..