Re: pseudo-OT: curious -- why GPM????

On Sun 25 Feb 01, 10:18 PM, Carel Fellinger said:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 09:47:36PM +0100, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
> > I have several computers at home and at work with ps/2 mouse and
> > never, never have had any problem at all with both gpm and X reading
> > directly from the /dev/psaux port. The only time when it didn't work,
> > was when someone put protocol translation and mouse repeating by
> > default in the gpm.conf file, and that puzzled me quite a bit before I
> > realized which was the cause of the problem.
> > But maybe I was just locky with the hardware combinations I use.
>
> Seems to have to do with the mouse too. I used to have a simple ps/2
> only mouse, seemed to work. But with me new wheel mouse, troubles.
> I think it might have to do with mouse initialisation, and the mouse
> itself switching to a different protocol if it isn't addressed as it
> wants to be addressed. So as ever, YMMV.

i agree completely.   on my system, X and gpm both use /dev/psaux.  i use a
logitech wheelie mouse.

on my girlfriend's (nearly same) system, X and gpm tried to both use
/dev/psaux and it caused conflict.  both are woody.  she uses a microsoft
wheelie mouse.

i'm almost SURE it has to do with the mouse brand.

pete