Re: pseudo-OT: curious -- why GPM????

On Sun 25 Feb 01, 10:13 PM, Carel Fellinger said:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 12:35:57PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > On Sun 25 Feb 01,  9:20 PM, Carel Fellinger said:
>
> > if you can configure your consol mouse during installation, it seems to me
> > that this would guarentee no problems with the mouse during X.
>
> Yep, but use /dev/mouse linked to /dev/gpmdata even in the early stages
> of X configuration. Saves a lot of headaches later on:)

just to let everyone following this thread know, that was the main source of
my confusion when i was working on my girlfriend's computer!

what could be more natural than having gpm read from the device /dev/mouse?
:-)

perhaps debian should consider making the symlinks:

   /dev/Xmouse -> /dev/gpmdata|
   /dev/gpmmouse -> /dev/psaux      (or whatever mouse you use)

this kind of setup would be really hard to mess up!

pete