pseudo-OT: curious -- why GPM????

Hi all!
In the few months that I have been reading the
debian user list, I have seen many many posts
about the conflicts GPM seems to have with X.
I have never used GPM, but I thought it was only
something to be used in a text-only environment.
Is there really any significant advantage to
using it under X? I've read about users banging
their heads against a wall trying to get it to
work, and I was curious it it is really worth it
and if maybe I should be using it. What does it
do? (I don't have any man or info pages
installed)

xucaen