Re: pseudo-OT: curious -- why GPM????

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 09:47:36PM +0100, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
> I have several computers at home and at work with ps/2 mouse and
> never, never have had any problem at all with both gpm and X reading
> directly from the /dev/psaux port. The only time when it didn't work,
> was when someone put protocol translation and mouse repeating by
> default in the gpm.conf file, and that puzzled me quite a bit before I
> realized which was the cause of the problem.
> But maybe I was just locky with the hardware combinations I use.

Seems to have to do with the mouse too. I used to have a simple ps/2
only mouse, seemed to work. But with me new wheel mouse, troubles.
I think it might have to do with mouse initialisation, and the mouse
itself switching to a different protocol if it isn't addressed as it
wants to be addressed. So as ever, YMMV.

--
groetjes, carel