Re: pseudo-OT: curious -- why GPM????

    > The ps2 port on PC's (or actually the treatment under Linux) doesn't
    > allow two programs to read from that port at the same time.  So if
    > you have gpm running to use the mouse on the console *and* you want
    > X to use that same mouse on such a ps/2 port: troubles, troubles.
    > Not always, there are those who are lucky and experience none of the
    > alludged malfunctionings that are reported, but those are few.

    > Fortunately there is a way out of this mess: let gpm have the ps/2
    > port all for him self, but let him forward all data he read from that
    > port to a socket (/dev/gpmdata) and next have X read from that socket
    > instead of reading from the ps/2 port.

I have several computers at home and at work with ps/2 mouse and
never, never have had any problem at all with both gpm and X reading
directly from the /dev/psaux port. The only time when it didn't work,
was when someone put protocol translation and mouse repeating by
default in the gpm.conf file, and that puzzled me quite a bit before I
realized which was the cause of the problem.
But maybe I was just locky with the hardware combinations I use.

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto:p.caci@tin.it  -  http://gusp.dyndns.org
  Firenze - Italia  | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.4.2 #4 Sat Feb 24 11:11:48 CET 2001 i686 unknown