Re: True Type fonts

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:12:41 -0200
Henrique M Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Andrej Marjan wrote:
> > You shouldn't need an external font server. I'm attaching my configuration
>
> Unless this has changed in XFree86 4.0.x, there is a very good reason to
> have a font server. If it freezes for a long time trying to render that
> monstruous unicode font or something like that, X won't freeze along with
> it.

There is yet another good reason: You might want to share font
collections among several workstations, not needing to keep them all
locally. This might be a minor issue where HD's are cheap nowadays,
but it comes in handy with diskless stations having root fs mainly on
CD.

--
Christoph Simon
datageo@terra.com.br