Re: True Type fonts

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Andrej Marjan wrote:
> You shouldn't need an external font server. I'm attaching my configuration

Unless this has changed in XFree86 4.0.x, there is a very good reason to
have a font server. If it freezes for a long time trying to render that
monstruous unicode font or something like that, X won't freeze along with
it.

Actually, given XFree86's new found resilience against font servers dying
(this used to be a DoS in older XFree86 releases), you can do more: I have a
font server serving all fonts as the first entry in the font path, and the
Xserver as a backup serving the same fonts later in the font path. If the
font server dies, the Xserver takes over the rendering.

  Henrique Holschuh