Re: Can't connect two debian boxes via PLIP

"Dr. Aldo Medina" wrote:

> I'm trying to connect my PII 350 with Debian 2.2r2 potato (kernel
> 2.2.17) with my PIII 800 with Debian woody (2.2.18 recompiled) using a
> "laplink" cable.

> I've followed PLIP-Howto steps, but even when I already
> tried two cables (which work under Windows, I know this doesn't prove
> anything, but..)

It proves that the cables are okay.

>, I still can't make this to work. I stop in the ping
> step. My potato says plip0: transmit timeout(1,87) and my woody stays
> forever waiting for an answer. This are my settings:

What happens if you try to ping from the woody machine?

> ¿any suggestion?

Do you have any ipchains rules setup on either of the machines?
Does one of the machines have a modem and is used to dial in to the
internet? Maybe your firewall rules are stoping the packets getting
through.

Check the log files in /var/log for any denied packet log entries (you
did use the 'log' switch with ipchains, didn't you?) or kernel error
messages.

You could also use 'traceroute' to see how far the packets are getting.

HTH
Matthew