Re: True Type fonts

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 01:47:36AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:

>   not sure where it's documented, probably in X docs. you basically need
> to do what you wrote - put the *.ttf files into some directory and add
> that directory to FontPath (in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, search for
> FontPath, add a line for truetype fonts), also run mkttfdir or ttmkfdir
> (one is in debian, the other one might be better, as some poster
> suggested recently) and that's it.

This thread has gone on quite a while and there has been some misinformation,
but the above seems dead on.  I'd would add that the font file names must
be lower case for mkttfdir (the one in Debian's fttools) to work properly.

Also, if you do just this, Netscape 4.76 will be able to use your new
Truetype fonts -- it is not necessary to run a font server as has been
suggested in this thread.  (This is all with Debian Unstable).