Setting up eth1 interface

Hello All,

I have been trying to set up a small local network with a linux box as a gateway and my wife's win98 laptop.

I am running potato with a fresh 2.2.17 kernel from kernel.org. Currently, a D-link DE-530TX is working well with a tulip driver loaded as a module to connect to my cable modem. The second NIC is a linksys LNE-100TX ver. 4.0, which also uses the tulip driver.

However, I cannot get the eth1 interface to initialize.

  #ifconfig eth1 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 up
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device

In my /etc/network/interfaces file there is no entry for eth1.
  eth0 is  :  iface eth0 inet dhcp
so I tried adding :  "iface eth1 inet"

Now with #ifup eth1, I get the error
  /etc/network/interfaces: too few parameters for iface line

So, I think that I am almost there I just cannot find any information on what options should be on that line. Or am I not really supposed to be editing that file directly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sean
snorris@hsph.harvard.edu