Re: LyX on woody crashes X server

:: Joachim Trinkwitz writes:

> OK, seems I should give some more informations: I use a recent woody
> with XFree 3.3.6-11 and LyX 1.1.4-7, X server is SVGA (window manager:
> sawfish-gnome 0.31.1-2 on the newest Debian-only Gnome -- not the
> Helix distribution). Hardware: a Matrox card MGA G400 AGP with 16
> MB RAM, the monitor is a fairly expensive Nokia 447PRO.

I run the same versions of X and LyX... And the same X server.

> The same thing happens on another PC with a Matrox Millenium 8 MB and
> an EIZO F56 (same software versions).

Did you try switching to a different window manager? Does LyX work if
you try using blackbox or WindowMaker, or some other?

> As previously said, LyX is basically working, it only crashes and gets
> me out of X when it loads many fonts in the X server.

Which font server are you running?

I just realized that I'm running XFree86 3.3.6-11, but with the font
server from X 4.0.1:

$ dpkg -l xfs*
||/ Name             Version          Description
+++-================-================-================================================
ii  xfs              4.0.1-0phase2v15 X font server
pn  xfs-xtt          <none>           (no description available)
ii  xfstt            1.1              TrueType Font Server for X11

I had tried X 4.0.1, and then switched back to 3.3.6, but it seems
that some packages remained... I don't know if this package is too
different from the one which came with 3.3.6, but it seems to work
here.

Maybe you'd like to try getting the newer .deb of xfs at
http://www.debian.org/~branden and install it by hand?

Hope this helps...
J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil