OFF-Topic : UDMA & BP6 -- it works.

Hi all.

I have been using a Abit BP6 for quite a long time now, and needed the UDMA interfaces.
I have 2 IBM 5400tr/min, 15 Gb hdd connected to ide2.
Yet, as many people did, I had an awful lot of problems setting up UDMA on this card (autotune would freeze the box at bootup, on Linux as well as on w2k) but I can say now that I have gotten it to work.

Well, here is what i deed : recompiled kernel 2.4.0-test9 with ACPI on and support for the HPT366 ;
deactivated APM and activated ACPI in bios;
set ide2=noautotune and ide3=noautotune as boot parameters for the kernel ;
and, most important, unplugged the computer (completely, ie, it was severed from all power source) for one whole night.

Then, I let the system boot, and activate by hand dma with hdparm for /dev/hde and /dev/hdf.

Strange enough, when I do not unplug the computer long enough, dma works well with /dev/hdf, but give me the hated message :
timeout waiting for DMA, and a complete freeze, when applied to /dev/hde.
That's all. I read many users had these kind of difficulties, but this is really strange a behavior. All I can say is that my system is really very stable, under a heavy load of IO.

--
I'm an occurence of the I love GNU virus.
Please help me spread.