Re: DHCP client setup for @Home

    PB>  dhclient (that's the name of the executable in the dhcp-client
    PB> package) is the best (imo) dhcp client for unix-type systems.
    PB> That would explain why NetBSD, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD use dhclient
    PB> in their bootup sequence when you select "automatic interface
    PB> configuration" (or something like that).
    PB>
    PB> IMO the only reason pump is being used is lack of space on the
    PB> root floppy.
    PB>
    PB>  You weren't doing anything wrong.  pump simply doesn't work
    PB> very well.

So, does this mean that if I try and install potato on my home system
using the boot floppies (to avoid having to burn 1 or more CDs) and I
select the DHCP net configuration option for doing a network/internet
install that the installation will fail ?

Is this a bug in pump ? If it fails to work (for an @Home setup like
mine) then why is pump allowed into potato or debian at all ?

I plan to reinstall potato on my home system using the boot floppies
over the weekend and will see how well the DHCP configuration works
then.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com

http://www.pathcom.com/~ssahmed
GnuPG Key fingerprint = A6DB 6C85 DE5A 33BB E873  E437 58B2 09CD 977B 900B