Re: DHCP client setup for @Home

> I was able to figure out the problem myself. For some reason, I was
> unable to get Pump to work with the Rogers@Home DHCP servers. I then
> remembered that there was another DHCP client, dhcp-client, which I have
> used earlier on one of our office machines.

dhclient (that's the name of the executable in the dhcp-client package) is
the best (imo) dhcp client for unix-type systems.  That would explain why
NetBSD, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD use dhclient in their bootup sequence when
you select "automatic interface configuration" (or something like that).

IMO the only reason pump is being used is lack of space on the root
floppy.

> I installed dhcp-client and added a couple of lines to
> /etc/dhclient.conf and voila! I have a fast cable-modem connection.
>
> Not sure what I was doing wrong with Pump.

You weren't doing anything wrong.  pump simply doesn't work very well.

Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien