Re: How do I get flexible email headers and sigs?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 06:13:37PM +0200, Sven Burgener wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 02:55:25PM +0000, Tony wrote:
>
> > I have several "identities" I'd like my mail to go out under -
> > tony.curzonprice@ucl.ac.uk for my academic work, tony@autopd.com for the
> > start-up I sometimes act for, tony@curzon.org for personal stuff etc.
>
> > I'd like the From:, Reply-To: fields and the signature to all change depending
> > on which identity I'm mailing as. The identity should default to the right one
> > if I'm replying, and otherwise should be input in some quick way.
>
> Good question. Is there any way of doing this with mutt? Anyone got a
> working solution to this?

I'm a bit simplistic about it all.  I filter the incoming according to the
user each letter is aimed at, and have those users defined with their own
.muttrc's which define the unique changes.  Fetchmail (I have a dialup) is
unique for each as well since my academic stuff comes from a different server.
If I want academic, I sign on as "kvaughan;" otherwise I use my "daddy" account
into which exim has filtered my share of incoming for "kaynjay."

A fetchmail cron job works well with diald to minimize the dialing hassle.
Having different users makes separation of the accounts easy.

The linux gazette has several articles on this kind of situation.

Obviously this won't work if all incoming mail (academic vs. private vs.
start-up) is inseparable, but the addresses mentioned should all be easily
distinguished with regular filters (either exim or procmail).  Other issues
may exist also which nullify this approach.

Kenward