Re: Some basic unix commanding, more please:

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, brian moore wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 07:48:35PM +0300, virtanen wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Frodo Baggins wrote:
> > > virtanen scripsit:

> > > Well,
> > > I can see sarcasm when it bytes my nose:))) Nevertheles... Perl is
> > > beautiful:)

> > I'm deadly serious, not sarcastic. (Everything what I said is true. And I
> > really liked the looks of that command.)
> >
> > But You probably know, where to get that script?
> > There are so many perl packages, that I don't want to install them all...
> >__________________________________________________________________________

> Ah, glad someone else has discovered the joy of 'rename'.
> It makes life
> so much nicer. :)
>
> As to where it's from:
> perl-5.005: /usr/share/man/man1/rename-5.005.1p.gz
> perl-5.005: /usr/bin/rename-5.005
>
> Which you should have on Potato or Woody.  (Yet another reason to
> upgrade from slink. :))

Oh, that is the case.

I'm always missing some of the very best niceties of this world...
For some reason 'potato' did not like this old box.
'Potato' kernel did not understand the old ethernet card of this box.
Do you thing that if I upgrade from 'slink' to 'potato', the missing
module from the potaot kernel, 'wd' would stay there so that the network
would  stay in tune?

Or is there some other way to get that newer Perl into this slink box?

hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi
http://www.jyu.fi/~hvirtane/