Re: Win4Lin install (was: VMWare, Samba, and Slink)

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 11:16:08PM +0200, Geert-Jan Van den Bogaerde
wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 10:06:51AM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten the evaluation version of win4lin to work with
> > Debian?  I'm running potato with kernel 2.2.16 and I applied the
> > 2.2.16 SMP version of the patch (the only 2.2.16 patch they had,
> > even though I don't use SMP) and converted the RPM to .deb with
> > alien (they don't have a .deb for the eval version, although the
> > full version does).
>
> It took some work, but what I did to get it to install is:
>
> edit the install_win4lin.sh (i think that's what it's called) script,
> and change the line where it installs the package using rpm (ie. rpm
> -i win4lin.rpm or something like that) to rpm -i --nodeps win4lin.rpm.
> Otherwise it complains about /bin/sh not being installed (since we
> have nothing else in the RPM database). This way, you can install it
> using RPM instead of dpkg (i tried what you did first too but got the
> same problem). Now set the environment variable which it checks to see
> which package system to use (sorry, can't remember what it was
> exactly) to rpm. Run the script, it should work now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert-Jan Van den Bogaerde

IIRC the help file says the .deb supplied with the full version is for
Corel 1.0.  I am running potato / 2.2.14, so I took the patch route (I
tried using the .deb but it didn't work).  The install went very
smoothly - just apply the generic patch, recompile and you're off!  No
fooling around with RPMs.  I had a couple of problems, caused by
operator error :-), but found Trelos support very responsive (e-mails
sent overnight were answered by next morning), a contrast to my
experience with VMWare.  Don't know what will happen if the product
becomes a big seller...  The trickiest thing I found was getting all the
file and directory permissions right so that I could read and write
files where I wanted to.

There is a mailing list for win4lin stuff, at
win4lin-users@lists.trelos.com.  You could hang out there and pick up
info (traffic is very low, though).

HTH & HAND
--