Re: VMWare, Samba, and Slink

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 09:08:54AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 05:45:27PM -0500, Jeff Noxon wrote:
>
> > Is VMWare 2.0 significantly faster than 1.x?  I used it for a while and
> > gave up.
>
> Somewhat.  There are some bugs, though, which haven't been resolved.  Both
> are considerably faster in full-screen mode.
>
> There is an alternative called Win4Lin:
>
> 	http://www.trelos.com/trelos/Trelos/Products/Product_Information.htm
>
> This is useful if you _only_ want to use Windows (and don't need other OS
> environments).  I don't know how it works, though.  It's new.
>

> --
> Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
> <sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library
> +1 905 639 3611 x158                                   2331 New Street
>                                    Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4

Win4Lin works well (again, if you only want to run windoze).  I've found
that for me it has a _much_ smaller performance hit than VMWare (both
1.x and 2.0).  YMMV.

I run Quicken, Photoshop, MathCAD, VB, and others (mostly stuff that
isn't available on Linux in some form [I haven't converted to the GIMP
yet  :-)]).  Haven't found anything that doesn't work, yet.  And file
sharing is easier (IMO).  Sure beats rebooting all the time...

--
Martin Hillyer