setting up multi boot system

Hello
I've never run any kind of other operating system besides windows and I was considering setting up debian on one of my workstations at the office since its the only place I have computer and internet access. I still need to keep windows and absolutely under no circumstances can I have one of these machines out of order. It'll be my job. So my question is, is it realistic to partition my drive and set up debian and what not and still expect to be able to use windows even if something weird is going on with debian? I would think that you would get an option on which drive to boot from before either operating system is being used right? Probably a stupid question but I couldn't find an answer anywhere else.

Kindest Regards
-David