Re: HDA is crashing..How can I duplicate it?

> My first try would be booting from the slink CDs.  If that is too
> limited you can check the rescue disks from Debian
> (/<cdrom>/debian/dists/slink/main/{root,resc1440}.bin, see the
textfiles
> in that directory), the the Bootdisk-HOWTO
> (http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html), or the
> various mini Linuxen (µLinux and the like).

Thanks I'll look into that.

> Or you could use "cp -av /old /new 2>>/cp-err 1>>/cp-msgs" after
having
> mkfs'd and mounted the new drive. Then check cp-err and cp-msgs after
> it's done. You could probably also use rsync if you have that
installed.

It's definatelly better to use cp because it won't create that large
file, but I've forgotten the switches to cp.

Do it as I suggested above. FYI:

hp:~# cp --help
[snip]
  -a, --archive                same as -dpR
      --backup[=CONTROL]       make a backup of each existing
destination file
  -b                           like --backup but does not accept an
argument
  -d, --no-dereference         preserve links
  -f, --force                  remove existing destinations, never
prompt
  -i, --interactive            prompt before overwrite
  -l, --link                   link files instead of copying
  -p, --preserve               preserve file attributes if possible
  -P, --parents                append source path to DIRECTORY
  -r                           copy recursively, non-directories as
files
                                 WARNING: use -R instead when you might
copy
                                 special files like FIFOs or /dev/zero
      --sparse=WHEN            control creation of sparse files
  -R, --recursive              copy directories recursively
  -s, --symbolic-link          make symbolic links instead of copying
  -S, --suffix=SUFFIX          override the usual backup suffix
      --target-directory=DIR   move all SOURCE arguments into directory
DIR
  -u, --update                 copy only when the SOURCE file is newer
                                 than the destination file or when the
                                 destination file is missing
  -v, --verbose                explain what is being done
  -x, --one-file-system        stay on this file system
      --help                   display this help and exit
      --version                output version information and exit
[snip]

HTH & best of luck
Sven