Re: Help, please. PCI128 sound card seen, but not heard

 <kaynjay@igalaxy.net> writes:

> On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 05:25:14PM -0700, debian.org@gbcomputers.com wrote:
> > Did you compile in the 'sound' module or leave it as a module? I've seen
> > these symptoms once when the 'sound' module was not loaded.
>
> Yes.  The es1371 driver is compiled directly into the kernel.  I recompiled
> the kernel (as another image and choice under lilo) with module support to
> use with the ALSA drivers.  That too seemed to work properly (detection of a
> card) but still no sound..  :(

I don't know that much about ALSA, but I think you're supposed to have
everything compiled as modules for it to work.  If I were you (and,
indeed, this is what I did since I have an sb128, too), I would ditch
all the ALSA stuff, compile sound and the es1371 driver into your
kernel (which I believe you've already done), run aumix to set the
volume, and play.  Appearently, ALSA has some advantages over the
standard kernel drivers, but you should get it working before you try
to get fancy :-)

HTH,

cbb