Help, please. PCI128 sound card seen, but not heard

I'm using the 2.2.14 kernel on an Asus k7V mb(Athlon), and have compiled
into the kernel the ES1371 sound driver.  On bootup the card is detected at
irq 10 and a memory address of 0x9000 (which does NOT happen with the
ES1370 driver).

I have added myself (as a normal user) to the audio and cdrom groups, and
have installed several mixers to ensure the master volume (and everything
else, in frustration) is cranked up.

No sound whatsoever.  Cd plays (lights up), but nothing else.  All cables
are set properly.  It works under Winblows98 with no alterations, and I've
confirmed the irq/mem settings there.  Same settings on both systems for
other cards too, with no conflicts.  I have a Voodoo 3 AGP and an SMC
10/100 card in other slots.

I installed a modules-ready 2.2.14 kernel and the latest version of the
ALSA drivers, compiled according to directions, reconf'd the alias file for
modules, and again see the card being ID'd (and again, the ens1370.o module
does Not work).  No sound.  Mixer again agressively manipulated with no
results.  :\

I haven't run across anything helpful in the list archives, and the only
suggestion for no sound in the docs is the use of the mixer (and I used the
alsamixer for that module).

Can anyone offer some advice here??  Thanks!

Kenward
(at work, under NT :(  )

                                          .'^~;,_
Dr. Kenward Vaughan                       ':,^'````
Professor of Chemistry                    \;:/
Bakersfield College                       |,;|
Bakersfield, CA  93305                   / ', \
                                        / o  O \
kvaughan@bc.cc.ca.us                   (oOoOOoOo)