Boot problem

I'm a newbie to Debian. I bought a book entitled "Debian GNU/Linux 2.1" from SAMS. It had a single Debian CD in the back. From what I can tell from the documentation, the CD was made sometime last November. After reading the installation appendix, I tried installing from the CD. The system hung booting the initial kernel. So I read the installation HTML file on the CD, built a rescue floppy, tried booting from that, as per the documentation. Again, the system hung booting the initial kernel.

The symptom is that the boot process hangs at the line:

"md driver 0.36.3 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8"

My system is an Athlon 700, Asus K7M, 256MB RAM, Conner Technology CT204 (4100 MB) on IDE-0, Plextor CD-R PX-W8432T ATAPI CD-RW drive on IDE-1, ATI PCI video card (primary), 3dfx AGP video card (secondary), SB-Live PCI512 sound card, LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 NIC.

Any idea why the initial kernel hangs before starting the boot script?

regards,
-jim

p.s. I *have* installed Corel Linux on the system, so I'm reasonably sure that some form of Debian works with this hardware. It's just the (a) I don't care for Corel Linux, and (b) I've never been able to get enough support from Corel to get either my sound card or my network card to work. I figured I would be better off with a pure Debian solution.