Re: Emacs - was Re: Mail/news software

Linux[1] is much more difficult (to learn anyway) yet much more powerful than,
say, windows. The Windows philosophy is: "don't think, everything should be
easy." With linux, you must think. The windows philosophy seems to rub off
onto the rest of one's life (or maybe it's the other way around). Some
people don't like to think, and windows encourages this.

Linux, on the other hand, makes and encourages you to think. Hopefully, this
will rub off onto the rest of your life and make you a better person. Yes,
Linux can make you a better person.

Unfortunately, laziness and non-thinkers are not going anywhere. That's why
kde and gnome and the like are important. If you don't want to think, you
don't have to. But if you do, there's always the command line, waiting,
beckoning. Kde and gnome will allow those people to use free software and
still not get too frustrated. I admit to being like this. I don't have time
to learn how to get latex to print a custom header for my picky english
teacher when it's 1:00 a.m. and an essay's due tommorrow. I just want to
fire up a gui/wsiwig and click on "headers & footers."

But I have chosen to use linux; I like the free software attitude, and I want
to be encouraged to think. The most fun I ever had was when my brother and I
fdisk'ed our windows partition and mke2fs'ed it. Then we broke the windows
install CD so that no one else would ever install it from that CD.

[1] When I say linux, I mean Debian, GNU, latex etc., etc.

--
Reader, suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of
Congress.  But I repeat myself.