Re: Installing without rebooting (running the installation proggie from within Linux)

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 01:37:09PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> > you may try a chroot-ed environment. man chroot
>
> While this is fine for building up a system once the base image has been
> created, I believe you'll find it easiest to install the base by booting
> the system.

How about downloading base2_1.tgz (or base2_2.tgz if you want to go
straight to frozen) and untarring that into the new partition before
chrooting into it?

The whole process might look something like this:
 1. Create the new partitions.
 2. mke2fs them.
 3. Mount them in the proper structure (e.g. the new / on /mnt/wherever,
    then the new /usr on /mnt/wherever/usr, and so on).
 4. cd /mnt/wherever
 5. tar -xvvzf /path/to/base2_1.tgz
 6. cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/
    cp /etc/hosts etc/
    echo "newhostname" > etc/hostname
 7. chroot .
 8. Mount proc, devpts, and whatever else if necessary.
 9. Edit sources.list and apt-get to your heart's content (:

--
  finger for GPG public key.