Re: Kernel panic

on 4/26/00 8:19 PM, Antonio Rodriguez at arodriguez@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> I am almost sure I did (99.999%)
>
> Peter Palfrader wrote:
>
>> Hi Antonio!
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>>> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:42.
>>> This is happenning after compiling a new kernel. I can still access the
>>> system through an old kernel.
>>> Any ideas to solve it?
>>> Thanx
>>
>> Did you compile ext2 (or whatever your root filesystem is) into the
>> kernel (!not as a module!)?
>>
>> yours,
>> peter
>>
>> --
>> PGP encrypted messages prefered.
>> http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~ppalfrad/

>> Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

He probably had an initial ramdisk and no initrd, romfs, or other support.
I have a SCSI system, and I have to either compile the driver into a
monolithic kernel or use an initial ramdisk which has the scsi module on it.
I once tried to boot without the ramdisk and the same thing happened to me.

Andrew