Why

Why is it so hard to get anywhere with Linux?
In plain English...how do I get help with the install?  Is there a book (written in HUMAN English) that I can buy?  I have read all kinds of "how to's" and I am missing something because I have tried to install THREE versions of Linux and can't get any to work (on my new $2300 paperweight of a laptop).

Just tell me what to do...or should I buy windows 98 and forget it?
The laptop has no operating system...now.

Thanks for any help
Brigette
brigette@mail.com