Re: Why

> Brigette Heffner wrote:
>
> Why is it so hard to get anywhere with Linux?

Using Linux is like any new venture, there is a learning curve, that is
essential. If you are unwilling to spend some time developing skills,
you will not be successful

> In plain English...how do I get help with the install?

If you are using Debian GNU/Linux then you have already found the best
assistance available, right here!

> Is there a book (written in HUMAN English) that I can buy?

I firmly recommend "Running Linux third edition" as a starter, and all
of their books as you begin to excel at the skills necessary to use
Linux and other possible areas, such as Perl.

> I have read all kinds
> of "how to's" and I am missing something because I have tried to
> install THREE versions of Linux and can't get any to work (on my new
> $2300 paperweight of a laptop).

The fact that you are attempting to install on a laptop as a beginner is
very ambitious. That is a daunting task for even the most experienced
users. I strongly urge you to get "hands on" help from a local guru or a
users group. Most of us are very willing to help.

> Just tell me what to do...or should I buy windows 98 and forget it?

That is totally determined by what you want to accomplish with the
operating system that you settle on. If you want to simply plug and
chug, and have no endeavors beyond e-mail, word processing, and web
surfing: it really does not matter--choose the easiest solution to
getting up and running. If on the other hand you want to have access to
more {FREE} software (and growing daily), than is available for any
other type of system, then GNU/Linux is your best bet.

> The laptop has no operating system...now.

The key to help here is SPECIFICS; Tell us about your machine, in
detail. Tell us what type of Linux you are trying to install, and what
is the distribution media --- CD, floppies,???
As you can see we are betting on Debian GNU/Linux as our choice for the
next Millennium!
Good Luck!

--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173