Re: Slink to Potato

Hi Greg Wooledge; unless Mutt is confused, you wrote:
> Damon Muller (dm-debian-user@empire.net.au) wrote:
>
> > If I want to
> > check out something that is only in Potato, I go and use apt-get to grab
> > and install it. If it uses glibc2.1, it'll get that, and any other libs
> > that it depends on.
>
> Yup.
>
> > Being `binary compatible', does this mean that all the apps that I don't
> > update will still work (with maybe some `rare exceptions')?
>
> Yes.  I have a mostly-slink-but-partly-potato box and it's just fine.
>
> > Or do I need
> > to do a dist-upgrade, and upgrade all of my apps to make sure they will
> > still work?
>
> I'd recommend against this, due to a few broken packages that are in the
> current potato.
>
> --
> Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
> wooledge@kellnet.com             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.
> http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/ |

And is it possible to upgrade only some packages from _potato_ to a
slink system? I'm asking this because when I install (by ignoring libc6
=>2.1 dependancy) imagemagick or xfig from potato on a slink system
(along with whatever they depend on- the dpkg is installing them
cleanly), all I get is segfaults galore. That indicates that whatever is
compiled against glibc2.1 will _not_ work on glibc2.0 based system. Or
what am I doing wrong?
I have also heard that slink bash will fail with glibc2.1 (segfault); so
how do I update libc6 to potato (using dpkg line, _not_ apt) without
breaking the system?

damir