Re: VERY Strange Problem since last update

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 07:21:16PM -0400, Todd Suess wrote:

> >No, of _menu_ , not _pdmenu_.

Actually, for me it's been 'install-menu' specifically:

root      4895 28.4 57.8 198652 74056 pts/3  D    21:48   0:20 install-menu /etc/menu-methods//gnome-panel -f --stdin

or:

root      4937 45.3 33.1 100348 42412 pts/3  R    21:53   0:09 install-menu /etc/menu-methods//blackbox -f --stdin

etc.

It does that for each and every menu (gnome and each of the wm's).  Like
Todd, this started yesterday for me, and it did it again tonight.

Oddly, it did -not- do it on my machine at work, just my home machine
(which does have some different stuff installed).

> Version: 2.1.3-2

Yep, same version here.

> >Do: "ps -ax | grep update-menus".
>
> I will the next time this repeats, I suspect you are correct tho that there
> are many update-menus
> running, and that is actually causing the thrashing of the harddrive.

I was only getting one at a time running, but when I kill one (say the
gnome-panel updater above) it would spawn another for the next thing on
the list that would likewise bloat.

update-menus itself looked fine, it's the demon spawn instal-menu that's
having the problem.

My guess is that Todd and I (and anyone else seeing this) have a package
that upgraded on Sunday that has something bogus in the menu setup and
is confusing install-menu.

198M worth of install-menu is a problem. :)

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting