Re: fatal error in SO 5.1

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Ed Cogburn wrote:

> Brad wrote:
>
> > 2) Are you _sure_ is wasn't the problem with threaded system(3) calls in
> >    one of the 2.1.2 prereleases? Given the information you give below, it
> >    distinctly sounds like you ran into this bug and not a bug in SO 5.1.
> >
> >    Especially since i have SO 5.1 from StarDivision before Sun bought
> >    them, and it works fine (although it is a memory hog...)
>
> 	I don't know the details about the system(3) call problem.  Your last
> sentence here is very different from my experience.  See below.

Check the debian-user mailing list archives, as well as bug report number
43549 <http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/43/43549.html>. Basically, using the
system(3) call [man 3 system, if you have manpages-dev installed] was
doing something non-thread-safe in version glibc 2.1.2-0pre10. This caused
any threaded program that used that call to fail.

> > > The first version I downloaded from the Star Division web site failed
> > > after an upgrade of glibc2.1 of the potato distribution.  I made an
> > > attempt to have both glibc2.07 and glibc2.1 on the system to get SO to
> > > work, but the instructions failed for me.  For me the solution was
> > > "solved" (not exactly sure) when I downloaded the new SO tarball
> > > (so51a_lnx_01.tar, note the "a") from Sun's website (stardivision.com
> > > will now redirect to sun.com).  This one worked without problems with
> > > glibc2.1.x.  There were however later upgrades to glibc in that time,
> > > but I think it wasn't glibc, they did something with the new version
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Why? Circumstances point more towards the glibc problem mentioned above.
>

> 	Ok, let me try to explain my experience.  I've been upgrading against
> potato since its beginning.  When glibc was 2.0.x I downloaded SO5.1
> from stardivision.com (before Sun).

This is impossible, since 5.1 was released only after potato was into 2.1.
Are you SURE you're not confusing 5.01 and 5.1 (BTW, that is the stupidest
numbering system i've ever seen. Who at StarDivision came up with it? ...
Then again, Netscape has 4.05 and 4.5 as well...)

The reason i know this is because of the intense discussion and
workaround-hunting that went on during that period, for version 5.01. Just
after a fully functional solution was found, StarDivision released 5.1
which worked with glibc 2.1. You can check the debian-user archives (try
around May 1999, which is when 5.1 was released IIRC) for more
information.

> I installed it and it worked.  As the weeks went by I upgraded my
> potato sys several times a week.  When the glibc version went to
> 2.1.x, SO broke.  A message on deb.usr gave a list of instructions to
> try, but the instructions failed for me.  I left SO broke, waiting for
> a solution, either an update to glibc (2.1), or a message on deb.usr
> explaining how to fix it.  No message showed up, and after several
> subsequent upgrades of glibc2.1.x, SO remained broke.

The directions posted to the list worked flawlessly for me (as well as a
few others i was in contact with at the time), and 5.1 when it was
released it worked without any modification.

> At this point Sun had taken Stardivision over, and put SO
> (so51a_lnx_01.tar) up on sun.com for download.  I thought this may be
> an updated version (same name as early version but with the addition
> of the "a").  I downloaded it, installed it, and it worked.

i'm not debating that this works, just that the earlier version worked
too. Is "a" less of a memory hog than previous versions?

- --
  finger for PGP public key.