Re: VERY Strange Problem since last update

Todd Suess wrote:
> 1. Apt-get action completes.
>
> 2. pdmenu fires up and proceeds to thrash the hard drive for about
>      30 minutes, slowly chewing up all available system resources
>      (RAM and SWAP), until SWAP is down to 0k available.

You mean a process _named_ pdmenu is doing this, I'll bet.

I'll also bet you'll find several dozen update-menus processes running. If
you do, tell me what version of menu you have installed.

> 4. afterstep fires up and proceeds to thrash the hard drive for about
>      30 minutes, slowly chewing up all available system resources
>      (RAM and SWAP), until SWAP is down to 0k available.
>
> 5. afterstep then stops, and all memory returns to normal.

Yes, these are not pdmenu and afterstep, they are menu programs in
/etc/menu-methods/. They are updating your menu files. They tend to be
rather heavy on the cpu but should not be hitting it this hard. Either
you're seeing an old menu bug that made many of them be run at once, or some
other bug in menu that I don't know of.

--
see shy jo