Re: VERY Strange Problem since last update

You mean a process _named_ pdmenu is doing this, I'll bet.

Yes

I'll also bet you'll find several dozen update-menus processes running. If
you do, tell me what version of menu you have installed.

tsuess:~# pdmenu --version
Pdmenu 1.2.47 GPL Copyright (c) 1995, 1996, 1997 by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net>
tsuess:~#

tsuess:~# dpkg --status pdmenu
Package: pdmenu
Section: shells
Installed-Size: 115
Maintainer: Joey Hess <joeyh@master.debian.org>
Version: 1.2.47
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1), libgpmg1 (>= 1.14-3), libncurses4 (>= 4.2-3.1), slang1 (>> 1.2.2-0)
Suggests: menu (>= 1.4)
Conflicts: menu (<< 1.4)
Conffiles:
 /etc/pdmenurc 550cd06dbf50b0ded1f1ce5922f62e7e
 /etc/menu-methods/pdmenu ab755c31fcb558f7edf6d69237a3f6f0
 A simple full screen menu program, intended to be comfortable
 login shell for inexperienced users.
 .
 Pdmenu interfaces with Debian's menu system, to provide
 automatically-generated lists of installed programs.

tsuess:~#

Not several dozen, but I have noticed a few running, others may be running at
a lower priority or something so as not to appear in the upper portion of the
top screen I am viewing.

l.

Yes, these are not pdmenu and afterstep, they are menu programs in
/etc/menu-methods/. They are updating your menu files. They tend to be
rather heavy on the cpu but should not be hitting it this hard. Either
you're seeing an old menu bug that made many of them be run at once, or some
other bug in menu that I don't know of.

That makes perfect sense.  I have been installing right along from the unstable
branch,  this is the first time a problem like this popped up.

Thanks for the feedback!