Re: Best Solution for PPP?

Mike Werner writes:
> Putting the line demand idle 600 holdoff 5 along with a dummy set of IP
> addresses into my /etc/ppp/peers/provider file never got my modem to
> dial.  I tried ping, traceroute, telnet and connecting to a website with
> lynx - all with no success.

You have to start pppd (pon will do it).  The 'demand' option tells it not
to dial out right away but instead to hang around waiting for outgoing
packets and dial when it sees one.

> Does the demand line have to go on a particular line?

No.  Just put it after the stuff that pppconfig put there so that pppconfig
won't get confused.

Once you have it working go into /etc/ppp and rename 'no_ppp_on_boot'
'ppp_on_boot' and pppd will start when you boot up.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)