Re: Printer Setup through SAMBA

Petru NOTINGHER wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've installed Linux 2.2.1 on my machine, but I have no printer
> connected via LPT.
> The printer (HPOffice JetPro 1150) is installed on another machine
> running Bill's stuff.
> It seems it is possible to access the printer via NetBios. I read the
> doc comming with
> Samba and tried to configure smb.conf. I always get the following answer
> to my command
> smbclient -L \\Serge (Serge is the Win95 machine):
> Added interface ip=162.38.204.8 bcast=162.38.204.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
>
> Server time is Tue Mar 23 13:46:02 1999
> Timezone is UTC+1.0
> security=share
> SMBtconX failed. ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in tree
> connect.)
> Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
> Some servers insist that these be in uppercase
>
> I have two questions :
>
> 1. Is it necessary to run a Samba Client for Windows on the machine with
> the printer, or
> the Windows95 software is enough ?
No, no Samba Client (what would that *be*?) is necessary, but you do
need to set up the printer for sharing.  Right-click the printer in
Windows Explorer and go into "Properties...".  It's easy.  (Don't take
offence if you've already done this...  :-))

> 2. How must I configure my machine to access the other's printer ?

The appropriate command to see if you're seeing the share would be:

smbclient -L //SERGE

then

smbclient //SERGE/<printersharename> -P

to connect to it as a printer service.  After you enter a password (if
you've set it up that way, otherwise use the -N switch) *in uppercase*,
you should get a special prompt at which you can enter printer
commands.  Typing 'h' at this point will get you a list of valid
commands.