Re: installing a piece of debian software onto a non-debian linux system

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Colin Rowat wrote:

> I'm using DsTool 2.0 for linux on a university system (running redhat, I
> think).  As debian is carrying a 2.0.3 DsTool I'm wondering how easy it
> is to download that and use it on the non-debian system here.  The .deb
> suffix slightly frightens me from this point of view.

The .deb version may or may not work even if you extract the software.

The best thing to do is get the original .tar.gz source file and compile
it yourself. You can get the .tar.gz from the page describing the package
on the Debian web site. (probably also you could find it by searching on
freshmeat.net.)

Havoc