Re: Printer Setup through SAMBA

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Petru NOTINGHER wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've installed Linux 2.2.1 on my machine, but I have no printer
> connected via LPT.
> The printer (HPOffice JetPro 1150) is installed on another machine
> running Bill's stuff.
> It seems it is possible to access the printer via NetBios. I read the
> doc comming with

> Samba and tried to configure smb.conf. I always get the following answer
> to my command

smb.conf is for (mostly) the server end (linux).  I wouldn't mess with the
printers in here, as the way I understand it, this is not what you are
trying to do.

> smbclient -L \\Serge (Serge is the Win95 machine):

getting there.  Basically what you want to do is pipe your document
through the command

smbclient //server/printer -c 'print -'

assuming you have no password on that share.  More complicated if you do
but not impossible, read the smbclient man page.

One method for making this use the lpr spooler is described in the
SMB-HowTo at http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP and it's the method I use.  I hope
to eventually incorporate this into my Samba-Beginners-HOWTO at
http://wilbur.ozsome.com/~samba/Samba-Beginners-HOWTO.html

> Added interface ip=162.38.204.8 bcast=162.38.204.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
>
> Server time is Tue Mar 23 13:46:02 1999
> Timezone is UTC+1.0
> security=share
> SMBtconX failed. ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in tree
> connect.)
> Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
> Some servers insist that these be in uppercase

yes, you are using \\ which won't work.  Either use \\\\ or // as \\
translates to a single \.

> I have two questions :
> 1. Is it necessary to run a Samba Client for Windows on the machine with
> the printer, or
> the Windows95 software is enough ?

Enable "File and Print sharing" and if you're not too worried about
security, use "share level access control" to make your life easier.

> 2. How must I configure my machine to access the other's printer ?

SMB-Howto.

HTH.

-Dano