Re: Debian Logo *Idea* Contest! (Delay for painting contest required)

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 12:27:28AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > This is silly. You are ruling out a hell lot of possibilities without
> > technical reasons. I think both is possible, a logo without "Debian" and a
> > logo that plays with the letters "Debian".
>
> My examples may be bad but one of the requirements (not made by me)
> was that the logo needs to look good with and without the Debian
> words.  I fully agree to this that the logo is something different
> than a letterset.  The letters may be added afterwards but the logo
> shouldn't contain them (except it is some abstraction like Ean's
> DG).

You are wrong. The original rules were written by Wichert Ackermann, and did
not contain this inappropriate limitation. The text was actually crippled by
the person who put the rules on the gimp page, probably because he though
that this would be obvious. (unfortunately, this is not the only thing that
happened along the way. The person who put the text on the web page did drop
some other important information, too, originally).

Here is Wichert's original wording:

* works both with and without text at the bottom (can be ignored if the text
  `Debian' is part of the logo)

You can read the full text in

Please stop making the claim that the logo must not contain the word Debian
at all.

Thank you,
Marcus