Re: Debian Logo *Idea* Contest! (Delay for painting contest required)

Laurent PICOULEAU wrote:
> Well, that a difficult task for these reasons :
>  - We probably have different ideas of what symbolize debian

Which is good.  If people would draw what they think Debian is
and it fits the logo rules we would be able to choose from a large
set of possible logos.  Wonderful idea.

>  - As far as I'm concerned I do not make a neat distinction amongst
>      linux and debian, so what I could suggest pertains as much to
>      linux than to debian.

Which is fine as long as it doesn't result in a penguin or a gnu. :-)

> My ideas of debian/linux (without any significance in the order) are :
>   freedom, power, cooperation.

Sounds like elephants to me.

> What animals symbolize these ? (and don't forget it's a cultural issue,
> dragons are considered as dreadfull in occident and benevolent in asia)
>  freedom : flying birds (Johnatan Livingston the seagull...)
>  power : big and strong animals (elephant, bear, buffalo, whales)
>  cooperation : social insects (ants, bees, termites)

If you - or others - could turn this into draft logos we would have
another set to choose from.

> So animals don't appears as a good solution.

No problem of using something else.  Please let your mind fly and
come back with some drafts.

> Last point, opposing to Joey, I do think that the word Debian should be
> integrated in the logo, for example if the idea of the escape is taken,
> the bottom of the sheet could be merged in the "i" of Debian.

Well, you're allowed to have a different oppinion than me, however
this wouldn't fit logo rules.

Think of

0-------0
0       0
0  logo 0  Debian GNU/Linux - the universal operating system
0       0
0-------0

0-------0
0       0
0  logo 0
0       0
0-------0
Debian GNU
  Hurd

Such positions of letters won't be possible.  As top of a web page
you'll probably want to use the first one, but for logos on t-shirts
letterheads and stuff you'd like to use the second one.

Regards,

	Joey

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto