2 Q's about dial-up stats

1) Is there a command that will let me see when I connected via
dial-up? My university-come-ISP has a 3-hour limit on dial-up,
and if I don't pay attention to when I dialed up, a couple of
hours later I wonder how much time I have left before I get
disconnected.

2) I'm using the apt-method with dselect to download packages. In
the bottom right corner of my screen is a number like 3109 b/s.
With a 28.8 modem, shouldn't there be another 0 on the ned of
that number, or am I misunderstanding what that number means?

TIA.