Re: 2 Q's about dial-up stats

Kent West wrote:

> 1) Is there a command that will let me see when I connected via
> dial-up? My university-come-ISP has a 3-hour limit on dial-up,
> and if I don't pay attention to when I dialed up, a couple of
> hours later I wonder how much time I have left before I get
> disconnected.

Another choice is the xisp package, which displays time connected, as
well as your IP address etc. It also has some logging capabilities that
I haven't tried yet.

> 2) I'm using the apt-method with dselect to download packages. In
> the bottom right corner of my screen is a number like 3109 b/s.
> With a 28.8 modem, shouldn't there be another 0 on the ned of
> that number, or am I misunderstanding what that number means?

The 3109 b/s download speed indicates bytes per second, while the 28.8k
baud rate for the modem corresponds (roughly) to bits per second.

Tom