Re: 2 Q's about dial-up stats

> 1) Is there a command that will let me see when I connected via
> dial-up? My university-come-ISP has a 3-hour limit on dial-up,
> and if I don't pay attention to when I dialed up, a couple of
> hours later I wonder how much time I have left before I get
> disconnected.

You can do a plog. I have a 2 hour limit, so it helps.
I also wrote a small shell script for myself, it keeps the system online
all the time, and tells you how much time left. So you are welcome to get
the source. Although, the version I use is customized for my machine, and
version I want to put out is in the testing right now. But if you are
interested, email me.

> 2) I'm using the apt-method with dselect to download packages. In
> the bottom right corner of my screen is a number like 3109 b/s.
> With a 28.8 modem, shouldn't there be another 0 on the ned of
> that number, or am I misunderstanding what that number means?

Dont know about apt-method. But if it's a 28.8 modem, then 3.1Kb/s is not
a bad speed for a download ( if it is a speed of download, in which case
there shoudl not be any extra zeros there).

HTH,
 Andrew

Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
need you.                              |