man/apropos/mandb problem...

I finally fixed my sig11 problem (voltage settings on
motherboard).However, I encountered another one. Evidently, fsck
lost+found'd the index files for apropos/man/mandb, and when I run

mandb -c

to recreate them, it tells me it can't. ("Permission denied" errors,
files missing, etc.)  Am I missing something?  I sort of need those
things so I can figure things out. And, of course, my old hard drive
doesn't help matters.  How do I recreate the index files for man,
apropos, etc.? If anybody can point me to a file or a site that
discusses this, that'd be a great help.

Thanks much!

Roger Franz