CR key broken ?

I have asked this before, but I still can't get to the bottom of it ?

When I telnet into Debian 2.0 from a Terminal on the Ethernet, the CR key
becomes broken in a few things and doesn't fucntion right.

The terminals are DOS based machines running NCSA telnet clients, and worked
just fine to Debian 1.3.1 ? The problem started following my upgrade to 2.0.

The problem..

At the Linux prompt all is well, nothing appears to be wrong. However start
something like JOE (editor) up and the CR doesn't insert when you hit it,
it just wraps to the next line. For example, if you are half way through a
line of text, and you hit CR, the second half of the line will drop to a new
line , and all other lines drop down to make room, yes !

But not here, if I do such an action, the text will just drop ontop of the
line below, making editing impossible.

Now the problem doesn't persist if I start JOE (or the likes) in a SCREEN
session, or indeed if I export the TERM type to VT102 or 220.

Trouble is exporting the TERM type then breaks so many other things, and
starting SCREEN everytime I want to use JOE (or the likes) is a bit sad.

Now, SCREEN has it's own config file to set things up... But just what is it
changing to make CR work OK, that my normal BASH shell isn't?

Ie if I can find the answer. I could perhaps just add it to my /etc/profile
file eh ??

Ideas !

--
Nidge Jones